DESTINATIONS DETAILS

 

Called the Valiya Palli or big church, because of its age, not size, this is the headquarters of the Chaldean Syrian Church (Church of the East) in India, dating back to when Sakthan Thampuran settled sixty four Syrian Christians in Thrissur around the end of the eighteenth century. Parts of the Mass are still held in Syriac and the congregation follows old rites. It has no pictorial representations of Christ inside the chapel, only the cross. The church has a lovely gabled façade and an ornately carved tulip-shaped pulpit.

Location:

  • 2 km from Thrissur opposite the Police Club on High Road

Details:

Service Timings: Weekdays 0700 - 0800 hrs, 1615 - 1645 hrs; Sundays 0730 - 0930 hrs